Sunday, August 7, 2011

Back From Safari!!!!!

Blog #8

SOPA!!! Marianna here. . .hi mom. . .we are in lovely Losijo Lodge, sleeping in open air bungalows next to a river and a family of crazy baboons J. We have taken two game drives in a large bus (lovingly christened “The Tank), and have seen zebras, wildebeest, impala, gazelle, two annoyed water buffalos, and a million bazillion giraffes. Keep an eye on the horizon for more posts. . .we’re hunting lions later. Xoxo

Sopa! It’s Liz. We are enjoying our weekend off in a lodge (with running water…) by a river. There are beautiful birds here… We are spending time on game drives – no lion, but LOTS of giraffes – relaxing, and thinking. We are reflecting on our last week in Oloika, readying ourselves for the next week. I miss you guys at home! Jane – have fun on your trip. Don’t forget bugspray, a toothbrush, or hair elastics. I can’t wait to hear about it – travel safe. =] Love you guys --- Elizabeth

Sopa! It’s Nya. We’re here in Loisiijo, taking in the beautiful world around us and reflecting on our journeys thus far. We’ve had the opportunity to identify ways that we all can contribute to lessening the problems that affect the world in between game drives and following lion tracks. I miss you, Mom and Emarah. Give everyone a kiss for me. I am having a great time, and I can’t wait to tell you all about it! Bye--Nya

Sopa!  It’s Charlotte here. We are here at the beautiful Losijo Lodge enjoying some well-deserved break time.  The safari has been fun and I have taken lots of pictures.  We have seen many giraffes, multiple dazzles of zebras, tons of antelopes, a few water buffalo, guinea fowl, gorgeous electric blue birds, and the tracks of lions. Once we have rested up, we will head back to Oloika and get back to work! More later…
P.S. Popi, there are lots of monkeys and baboons here!  You would love it!  Xoxo

Sopa! It’s Talia and Rachel here. The Losijo Lodge is gorgeous and we’re staying in this incredible villa next to the river. I think we all are enjoying a break from work...sanding is just so tiring. The two game drives we’ve been on were amazing, our favorite animal so far is the giraffe. Unfortunately the lions were very good at hiding from us, but who knows maybe we’ll see one tonight or tomorrow morning. It’s nice to have a real bathroom and a real bed but we’re looking forward to work on Monday. See you soon! Xoxo

Takwenya! It’s Cayley. I’m having lots of fun on our little safari “vacation” this weekend! The lodge we are staying at is gorgeous, there are baboons walking all around and the jungle feel of the green trees and bushes around the river is a nice change from the dry desert of Oloika. I’ve seen and taken pictures of lots of cool animals – my favorite animals are the zebras and giraffes. We haven’t seen a lion yet… but hopefully we will tonight! Miss you family – and Matt, have fun at camp. Xoxo, Cayley

Hey guys it’s Chelsea!! Right now we are at Losijo Lodge and have been on two game drives so far.  For the first time I have seen giraffes, zebras, and water buffalos up close and in their natural habitat. Today we woke up at 5:55AM to go on a game drive for 6:30AM. I was really excited to see the lions, but we were unable to find them to my disappointment. But I am still really excited to see other animals and to be in touch with my wild side. Miss you Mom and Dad!!!xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sere. Just kidding- once again, greetings to you all. I am not banned anymore, nor do I have another Anon writing for me. Losijo lodge is actually a pretty cool place. We have running water here and flushed toilets and there is a shower that is not made of buckets. Today and yesterday we had to cross the river in order to get to and back from the so-called “Tank.” As I did not bring my flip-flops, I was cajoled by the man, affectionately referred to as “Fred,” into accepting a piggyback ride across the river. Many animals could be seen from the seemingly invincible “Tank,” such as zebras, gazelles, impalas, and the like. In general, the last two days were fun, but the ludicrous amount of dust and the lack of a camera charger have made me rage quite a few times. I am not sure as to whether I will go on the next and last safari, but I will decide in a bit. Tomorrow we are returning to the camp to work for one more week before we return home. Sere! For real this time. – TL

Hey everyone, Eddie here. I’m just dropping these lines to let the folks back home know that everything is cool. We have been having a great time a Losijo. Last night a bunch of baboons were fighting a leopard by our cabins. Those baboons were mad hard, they weren’t even scared. The safaris have been great; I especially like rolling through the brush in the tank. Today we’re going back to the worksite. The cistern still needs to be dug and we need to tear down a couple of walls. Mad props to all my boys back stateside. –Eddie Lee

Hello, it’s Matt again. So far everything is pretty cool here especially the lodge we are currently staying at. There are a lot of baboons and other animals including zebras and antelopes. Tomorrow we’ll go back to work and Eddie and I will finish (hopefully) digging the cistern for the dining hall. See you all soon. —Matt  

Hey everyone! It’s Carolina. Last night baboons were fighting outside our cabin and apparently there was a leopard. So even though we didn’t get to see lions on the safari, we got to experience PLENTY of wildlife. Regardless, it’s been awesome cruising in our tank thing. I’m super excited to go back to Oloika to see the kids and finish the work we started. SERE!!!!!! 

Hi everyone!  Your kids have been FABULOUS here in Shompole.  I am so impressed by how hard they work and how happy they are to do so.  We have also had several great conversations about cross-cultural experiences and ways we can do our part to ensure that the world’s resources are preserved and fairly distributed to all people on our globe.  It’s a very smart group of kids and I look forward to the ideas that are starting to emerge as we talk about the global issues that affect us here and at home.  –Laurie







0 comments:

Post a Comment